Orthodontic Retention in Woodland Hills, CA
When you’ve completed your Woodland Hills, CA orthodontic treatment and your smile has been transformed; the next step is orthodontic retention. This phase ensures that your teeth remain in their newly aligned position and preserves the results of your treatment. Our practice, Orthodontics in Woodland Hills, is here to guide you through the ins and outs of orthodontic retention so you can maintain that newly straightened smile for years to come.
Keep smiling bright
You’ve worked hard for your beautiful smile! Let’s keep it that way!
Our expert orthodontic team is here to help your beautiful smile last a lifetime!
What is Orthodontic Retention?
Orthodontic retention is maintaining the alignment and position of your teeth after active orthodontic treatment. Once your braces or aligners have done their job, it’s essential to use orthodontic retainers to prevent them from reverting to their original misaligned state. While the active phase of orthodontic treatment focuses on moving the teeth, the retention phase ensures they stay in their new position.
Types of Orthodontic Retainers in Woodland Hills, CA
Orthodontic retainers come in several different types, each with unique characteristics and advantages. At Orthodontics in Woodland Hills, we offer the following retention options:
Hawley retainers consist of a plastic base that sits against the roof of your mouth and a metal wire that follows the curve of your teeth. They are adjustable, so it’s possible to fine-tune their fit as your teeth settle into their new positions. Hawley retainers are removable and provide superior retention.
Clear retainers are made from a transparent plastic material that fits snugly over your teeth. These retainers are virtually invisible, making them a popular choice for patients who want to maintain their new smile discretely. They are also removable, which allows for easy cleaning and maintenance.
Fixed or Bonded Retainers
Fixed or bonded retainers differ from the removable options. Typically placed on the lower arch, these retainers consist of thin wires bonded to the back of your front teeth. This wire remains in place and offers a continuous, low-profile retention method. It is beneficial for those who need to remember to wear removable retainers consistently.
Choosing the correct type of retainer largely depends on your orthodontic needs, lifestyle, and preferences. During your consultation at Orthodontics in Woodland Hills, we will evaluate your situation and help you decide which retainer best fits you.
Maintain your beautiful smile with personalized and custom-fitted retainers. Book an appointment today for a long-lasting and confident smile.
Being Fitted for Retainers
The process of being fitted for orthodontic retainers is a straightforward and painless one. Here’s what you can expect when you visit Orthodontics in Woodland Hills:
Evaluation: Our orthodontist will assess your current orthodontic situation during your retention consultation. This evaluation includes examining the alignment of your teeth and discussing any specific concerns you might have.
Digital Impressions: If removable retainers are recommended, we will scan your teeth to take a digital impression. These digital impressions create a 3D rendering that a specialized lab uses to create custom-fit retainers that will snugly fit your dental arch.
Fitting: We will schedule a fitting appointment once your retainers are ready. During this visit, we will make sure your retainers fit comfortably and securely. We’ll also provide you with instructions on how to wear and care for your retainers.
Adjustments: If you have Hawley retainers, they may require occasional adjustments to maintain their effectiveness. Our orthodontic team makes these adjustments so your retainers continue supporting your newly aligned teeth.
Maintenance: Proper care and maintenance of your retainers are essential. Regular cleaning and storing them in their provided case when not in use will help extend their lifespan and keep them in good condition.
Pros and Cons of Retainers
Retainers play a vital role in preserving your orthodontic investment, but it’s essential to understand the advantages and potential drawbacks.
- Preserve Orthodontic Results: The primary benefit of retainers is their ability to maintain the beautiful alignment achieved during orthodontic treatment.
- Prevent Relapse: Retainers help prevent your teeth from shifting back to their original misaligned positions.
- Custom Fit: Retainers are custom-made to fit your unique dental arch, providing maximum comfort and effectiveness.
- Versatility: With different types of retainers, you can choose the one that best suits your needs and lifestyle.
- Responsibility: The effectiveness of retainers depends on consistent wear. To prevent relapse, it’s essential to wear them as instructed by your orthodontist.
- Maintenance: Removable retainers require regular cleaning and proper care to prevent discoloration and damage.
- Speech Impediments: Some patients may experience slight speech changes when wearing retainers, but this typically improves with time.
How Long You’ll Need a Retainer
The duration of orthodontic retention can vary from one person to another. It depends on several factors, including the severity of your initial misalignment, the type of orthodontic treatment you received, and your age. Orthodontists generally recommend wearing retainers full-time for the first few months after your active treatment ends. After this initial phase, you may transition to wearing your retainers only at night or as directed by your orthodontist.
It’s important to remember that retention is not a short-term commitment. To maintain the results of your orthodontic treatment for the long haul, it’s often advisable to continue wearing retainers indefinitely, even if it’s on a reduced schedule. Your orthodontist will monitor your progress and guide you on the appropriate schedule for wearing your retainers.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
If you’re considering orthodontic treatment or have recently completed your orthodontic journey, don’t overlook the importance of orthodontic retention. At Orthodontics in Woodland Hills, our experienced team will help you maintain your beautiful smile for years. Contact our office today!
Questions Answered on This Page
- What is Orthodontic Retention?
- Types of Orthodontic Retainers in Woodland Hills, CA
- Being Fitted for Retainers
- Pros and Cons of Retainers
- How Long You’ll Need a Retainer
Definition of common Invisalign terminology
Clear Aligner Trays: Clear aligners are transparent trays that are worn over teeth to move into proper alignment.
Impressions: This is the first step in making a model of your teeth for creating personalized orthodontic appliances.
Orthodontics: Orthodontics is a specialty within dentistry that focuses on the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of mispositioned teeth and jaws, and misaligned bite patterns.
The Orthodontics in Woodland Hills Experience
- Comfortable Environment
- Friendly and skilled professionals
- Affordable Financing Options
- Cutting-Edge Technology
Hear From Our Patients
Book Your Free Consultation Today
The first step to the smile of your dreams
About our Orthodonticsry
- CA (License #
51188). View License Information
- Insurance: We work with most insurance providers.
- Financing Options: We offer easy orthodontic financing options.
- We serve patients from the following counties: Los Angeles
- We serve patients from the following cities: Woodland Hills and its nearby cities, including Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Canoga Park, Chatsworth, Encino, Hidden Hills, Reseda, Tarzana, Topanga, West Hills, and Winnetka.
- Have Questions? Please feel free to contact us at 818-225-0530