Early Orthodontics in Woodland Hills, CA
We are happy to welcome patients of all ages to our orthodontic practice in Woodland Hills, CA. Early orthodontic care is a fundamental aspect of your child’s health and smile, and we’re here to guide you every step of the way. Together, we can keep your child’s oral health in check from a young age.
Early orthodontic appointments offer a lot of future advantages. From helping to avoid extensive treatment when your children are older to correcting problems before they progress, starting early leads to a healthy smile that lasts a lifetime.
Growing Up with Confidence
Building Healthy Smiles from the Start
To maintain your child’s healthy smile, it’s advisable to schedule an orthodontic consultation at an early stage. Early treatment can effectively prevent potential orthodontic problems, setting the foundation for a lifetime of healthy teeth.
When Should Children See an Orthodontist?
The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) recommends that children have their first orthodontic appointment by age 7. Why age 7? Around this time, your child’s permanent teeth are beginning to come in, and they reveal a future look at how their overall dental health will develop.
This first visit doesn’t necessarily mean that orthodontic treatment will be needed. It’s more of a proactive step to determine if any potential issues may require orthodontic treatment in the future. It allows us to catch problems early before they become more complex and more complicated to correct.
Early Dental Appointments vs. Early Orthodontics
Many parents wonder about the difference between early dental check-ups and early orthodontic evaluations. Consider your child’s early orthodontic evaluation as a partner to regular dental check-ups. While both are crucial for your child’s oral health, they serve different purposes.
Dental check-ups typically begin around age one and focus on oral hygiene, cavities, and ensuring general oral health. Dentists look at the teeth, gums, and soft tissues of the mouth and concentrate on general dental health. On the other hand, orthodontic checkups focus on determining the alignment of the teeth and jaw, potential bite issues, and irregularities in tooth development.
What Are the Benefits of Early Orthodontic Visits?
Early orthodontic visits offer several benefits, including:
Early Problem Identification
Early orthodontic evaluations help identify potential severe problems down the road. Early detection can minimize issues such as overcrowding, spacing, misaligned teeth, and bite problems.
When orthodontic issues are detected early, it can boost a child’s self-esteem. A healthy smile can positively impact their self-image and social interactions.
Better Oral Health
Properly aligned teeth are easier to clean and reduce the risk of cavities and gum disease. When teeth are correctly aligned, good oral hygiene practices are more effective.
When orthodontic issues are addressed early, future treatments tend to be shorter and less invasive. Early orthodontics minimizes the time and effort needed to achieve a beautiful smile.
Here Are A Few Signs Your Child May Need Early Orthodontic Care
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty in chewing or biting
- Underbites, overbites, or crossbites
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Very crowded teeth
- Extra or missing teeth
- Teeth not meeting properly when biting
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Jaws and teeth that are not proportionate to the rest of the face
To find out if orthodontics is right for your child, schedule a complimentary consultation today!
Your Child’s First Orthodontic Appointment in Woodland Hills, CA
At Orthodontics in Woodland Hills, we understand that your child’s first orthodontic appointment can be a new experience. Our team is dedicated to making it a comfortable and informative visit. During the initial consultation, our experienced orthodontist will:
- Review your child’s dental and medical history.
- Perform an oral examination, which includes the alignment of teeth, bite, and jaw structure.
- Discuss any potential orthodontic issues and explain treatment options.
- Provide recommendations based on your child’s specific orthodontic needs.
We believe in open communication, and we want you to be informed every step of the way. This consultation is an opportunity for you to ask questions and share your concerns.
Types of Early Orthodontic Treatments
Each of our orthodontic treatments is tailored to your child’s smile, and our orthodontic team will work closely with you to determine the most appropriate course of action. Here are some common early orthodontic treatments:
- Space Maintainers: Space maintainers are used to preserve the space for permanent teeth when a baby tooth is lost prematurely.
- Palatal Expanders: By creating additional space for permanent teeth to erupt properly, palatal expanders are used to widen the upper jaw. This can be particularly beneficial for children with a narrow palate.
- Orthodontic Braces: Early orthodontic braces are sometimes recommended to address alignment issues. Specifically for children, they are often less noticeable than traditional braces.
- Functional Appliances: Functional appliances are used to correct bite issues and jaw alignment problems. They influence the jaw’s growth and development to achieve a more balanced bite.
- Retainers: Retainers are used to maintain the results of orthodontic treatment. They are often recommended after the removal of braces to help teeth remain in their corrected positions.
- Orthodontic Monitoring: Early orthodontic evaluation may lead to a “watch and wait” approach for some children. Our orthodontist will monitor your child’s oral development and recommend treatment, if necessary, at a later date.
Reserve Your Child’s Appointment
Orthodontics in Woodland Hills is dedicated to providing the best orthodontic care for your child in Woodland Hills, CA. Contact us today to schedule your child’s orthodontic evaluation and help them stay on the path to a lasting smile.
Questions Answered on This Page
- When Should Children See an Orthodontist?
- Early Dental Appointments vs. Early Orthodontics
- What Are the Benefits of Early Orthodontic Visits?
- Signs Your Child May Need Early Orthodontic Care
- Your Child’s First Orthodontic Appointment in Woodland Hills, CA
- Types of Early Orthodontic Treatments
- Invisalign for Teens
- Clear Braces
- Metal Braces
- Invisalign® for Teens
- Two-Phase Treatment
- Preventive Care
- Orthodontic FAQs
Definition of common braces terminology
Braces: Fixed orthodontic appliances, usually made of ceramic or metal, and consisting of brackets and wire designed to align teeth.
Brackets: The tiny metal, ceramic or clear plastic supports that are affixed to each individual tooth on the arch.
Expander: An orthodontic appliance that can widen the jaws.
Orthodontist: A dentist who has been specially trained to do orthodontics.
Retainers: Retainers are devices used in orthodontics to maintain teeth alignment after braces or other teeth-straightening procedures.
Open Bite: This is when the upper and lower teeth don’t meet when the mouth is closed, often caused by habits like thumb sucking or prolonged use of a bottle.
Crowding: Crowding is the lack of space for all the teeth to fit normally within the jaws.
Crossbite: When the jaw shifts to one side.
Underbites: When the lower front teeth are ahead of the upper front teeth.
The Orthodontics in Woodland Hills Experience
- Comfortable Environment
- Friendly and skilled professionals
- Affordable Financing Options
- Cutting-Edge Technology
Hear From Our Patients
Book Your Free Consultation Today
The first step to the smile of your dreams
About our Orthodonticsry
- CA (License #
51188). View License Information
- Insurance: We work with most insurance providers.
- Financing Options: We offer easy orthodontic financing options.
- We serve patients from the following counties: Los Angeles
- We serve patients from the following cities: Woodland Hills and its nearby cities, including Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Canoga Park, Chatsworth, Encino, Hidden Hills, Reseda, Tarzana, Topanga, West Hills, and Winnetka.
- Have Questions? Please feel free to contact us at 818-225-0530